02 februari 2014

Grayson Perry #1


"For me all studios hark back to my father's shed, where the workbench strewn with tools became the cockpit of a fantasy aircraft journeying to imagined lands. This is the cosy dream of my creative nest, the reality is a crumbling old printer's shop in east London's outer reaches.

I was in a hurry when I bought this studio. My old studio block, now under the Olympic park, was being torn down. I needed somewhere to set up my kilns. This was the first place I saw that had a concrete floor, a large door and three-phase power. It does the job. Its only real downside is that it is a 10-mile commute from my house.

This picture was taken just before my largest exhibition at the Museum of 21st Century Contemporary Art in Kanazawa, Japan. The circular plan of this beautiful museum is pinned to the wall on the far right. The photocopies of the Japanese screen were given to me by the director because he thought, rightly, that I would love them. Next to the plan is a postcard of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela and a clipping of El Greco's view of Toledo, two places I have cycled to.

The photograph of the two women in blue is the centrefold of a Japanese transvestite magazine that I find curiously touching.

I nearly always have music or Radio 4 on when I am working. Next to my CD shelf is an old photo of my daughter Flo.

The pot in the foreground, which I called Memories, turned out rather well. This was partly due to the fact that it was the last work I made for the Kanazawa show and I was probably more relaxed, having come to the end of nearly two years of preparation. I was in the middle of drawing into the leather-hard clay with a knife - a process called sgraffito. I was adapting an illustration from a Victorian fashion catalogue. My studio has many books - my imagination is fine for sweeping generalities, but the details need researching." (bron: The Guardian)


(bron: TateShots: Grayson Perry studio visit)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten